Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Craig Thompson's: Blankets

WOW! What can I say? This graphic narrative really did not resonate with me. I know it is based off Craig Thompson's own life and experiences but it was way to "foofy" for me. The overemotional "stuff" I think really got in the way. The narrative itself was very well written, but the more life changing and real world problems such as a somewhat abusive father, being forced to share a bed with your brother and a problem I personally have is religion being overbearingly forced upon a child. Especially to the point, that Craig feels terrible for masturbating as it literally eats away at him and his relationship with God and Jesus.

I did however really enjoy the goofiness and wacky illustrations. The illustration style really did fit the story perfectly, again however I did not care too much for the story. It dragged on way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment